Position: Vietnam Country Director and Regional Program Director
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Reporting: Reports to TN/EMW CEO
East Meets West Foundation, an affiliate of Thrive Networks, improves the quality of life of under-served populations in Southeast Asia (primarily in Cambodia, Lao PDR, and Vietnam) through evidence-based interventions for three decades. Our core belief in the power of partnerships and collaboration has always been the key to our success. We partner with governments, communities, and private sector groups in implementing its programs. Our interventions have allowed us to serve over one million individuals across the region. EMW/Thrive Networks is a register 501c3 in the United States with the head office in Oakland, California.
The Country Director (CD) has the overall responsibility for the strategic leadership and direction for the EMW/Thrive Networks country program to achieve the organizational vision, mission, and objectives. The CD leads the in-country team and is responsible for all programmatic and operational aspects of the programs. The CD represents EMW/Thrive Networks with Government at all levels and with local and international organizations within county and spearheads in-country fund-raising to ensure the financial sustainability of the organization. This position also manages the Regional Program team based in Vietnam.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Program Development, Implementation and Management:
- Provide the leadership for the development, management, and implementation of all program activities in line with the overall EMW/Thrive Network strategic plan and the country context.
- Develop and maintain consistent, clear and timely communications and reporting for all country-related activities, issues, and updates with the HQ and Regional staff.
- Work with relevant in-country and regional staff to strengthen and improve program efficiency, impact and sustainability.
- Leads policy dialogue with government at national and sub-national levels to advocate for policy reform as required by the programs
- Visit project sites as needed to support and monitor staff; engage government and community leaders; and maintain clear visibility and knowledge of the successes and challenges of operations in the field.
Financial and Resource Management and Control:
- Provides oversight to all financial and administrative functions in the Country Office (CO) ensuring full compliance with applicable policies, manuals and legal conditions.
- Oversees the development and implementation of the project and program budget in accordance with established organizational goals and targets.
- Ensure that adequate internal controls mechanisms are established and followed.
- Ensures systematic budget monitoring and review is conducted.
- Ensure effective grant management systems are in place for accurate, timely reporting and compliance with donor conditionality and requirements.
- Ensures legal compliance in all areas including taxation, employment law, insurance, contracts and other EMW/Thrive Networks requirements.
Human Resources Management and Organizational Development:
- Provide management expertise and leadership to a technically diverse team and create a work environment that promotes high performing teams.
- Oversee timely recruitment and training of staff.
- Conduct staff appraisals and identify and ensure support for staff capacity building needs.
- Conduct regular senior management and staff meetings to assess organizational progress and communicate updates and developments as needed.
- Promotes behaviors and ways of working that are aligned with EMW/Thrive Networks values and organizational culture.
Representation and External Relations:
- Develop and manage relationships with other I/NGO’s, government officials and appropriate facilities/authorities; schedule and attend meetings with them as needed to coordinate planning and implementation of projects.
- Develop networks and partnerships with national/regional/international donors, institutions and companies in Vietnam and spearhead donor collaboration, fund raising and project development within the country and across the region as needed.
- In close coordination with the CEO and Regional staff, represent EWM/Thrive at relevant donor meetings and assist in planning and hosting donor visits.
Security and Risk Management:
- Develop and maintain appropriate contingency plans for emergencies.
- Ensure all staff understand and comply with established policies.
- Graduate degree in relevant field (i.e. economics, international development, MBA, public policy)
- Fluent English speaker
- Conversational Vietnamese
- At least ten years of experience in leadership roles in international development NGOs
- Fast learner, able to grasp strategic and technical issues very quickly
- Demonstrated capacity to fundraise – particularly from institutional donors
- Brings their own fundraising networks with them to the role
- Practical experience in building up a social enterprise
- Demonstrated experience managing development programs in Vietnam
- Deep understanding of governance in Vietnam
- Excellence in management and people skills
- Capable of rapidly gaining a comprehensive understanding of all EMW programs, allowing him/her to preempt problems, and support management to address problems
- Values a healthy and positive work environment, and will work with the teams to develop this
- Committed to promoting a diverse workplace, valuing and supporting women and diversity
- Demonstrated capacity to maintain relationships with and impress institutional and individual donors
- Vision and understanding about how to support an arm of EMW transition to social enterprise
- Expertise in WASH program design and implementation
- Experience in education program design and implementation
Procedure for Candidacy
Please send resume and cover letter, or nominations, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Specify “Vietnam Country Director and Regional Program Director” in the subject line.
Electronic applications only.